New features in Realm Of Empires
Unfortunately, we can't promise any significant new features in the next 1-2 months. The task of separating ROE and ROE' will keep us busy for the next while, and we'll be booked for at least a month of development time.
However, once the separation is complete, we'll move full steam on implementing new features! We are planning on: doing significant improvements to the UI to speed up the page loads, eliminate a lot of page refreshes, easier filtering and organizing information in tables, more interactive map, more clan colaboration features and lots more to give you a much richer experience.We also hope to offer some cool new game play changes and additions in the new realms such as improvements to handicap system, special village types etc.
With all that's going on, we're extremely excited with the direction that RoE is headed, and we hope you are too! What do you think about RoE and RoE'? Your thoughts on playing outside of facebook?
... And Stay Tuned! Next week I'll be revealing a bit more about what it's like at RoE as I sit down for my second blog interview.
Have a comment about RoE direction? Leave one below!
With the re-launch of the official Realm of Empires blog, we thought it’d be a great idea to give our readers, an inside look at the members of the RoE team. As a result, we’re rolling out our very own interview series, where each installment will give insight into the lives of the Developers and also present new information about Realm of Empires.
A lot of our players have been wondering if we’ll ever see the in-game mapper?
Want to connect with Greg Bala? Add him on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/bubaman
Two atoms were walking when one of them said, "I think I lost an electron!" "Really!" the other replied, "Are you sure?" "Yes, I 'm absolutely positive."
Oh boy this was 'hilarious'! How is this relevant? Well, it appears Realm of Empires players are heavily attracted to double positives!
Players prefer the North East Quadrant
Here is an example of the break down in Realm 10 (this same pattern repeats in Realm 7,8 and 9)
Somewhat less consistently, South West is the second most popular choice.
Why is this the case?
There are probably a number of reasons but at least 2 stand out.
1. Firstly, this is the first option in the drop down box
2. Secondly, and in my perception more importantly, players prefer their village to have two positive coordinates. I suppose it is slightly easier to deal with village (44,33) then it is with (-44, 33). A feeling confirmed but a number of players.
So why should I care about this?
Well, our algorithm tries to populate the realm into a perfect circle. So the quadrant least chosen will have the most of:
2. Brand new Realm of Empire players
Rebels are placed automatically and will be places in quadrants with fewer villages thus naturally gravitating to less popular quadrants.
New players do not get a choice to start in a quadrant in their first realm (we found that it only confused new players) therefore they too start in the less popular quadrants.
THUS you will be surround by more rebels, new player and abandoned villages while the North Easterners fight for every piece of the pie! :)
There you go! a recipe for success!
Have the lucky few took advantage?
Are the clans who started in quadrants other than North East more powerful? Have those who happen to start in the 'easier' areas been more successful or does constant conflict of North East forge stronger players? :)
Its an open question! What do you guys think?
- The latest Realm of Empires player and clan news
- Trends in Realm of Empires game play (what are players' cool strategies etc.)
- Profile interviews of longtime Realm of Empires players and others who are expert online gamers
- Tips and tricks on strategy and game play
We are also expanding our group of bloggers - while it was originally Greg's personal blog, we are opening it up to our other team members, and some of key players.
From the earliest days of Realm of Empires, we've struggled with the problem of too many fake attacks. Attackers felt compelled to send as many as possible, defenders found themselves with too many attacks to manage.
As ROE veterans can appreciate, its a hard problem to solve since fake attacks are a core tactical tool in attackers toolbox.
In R7 and R8, we are releasing a 'Unit Desertion' algorithm aimed at minimizing this issue. Minimizing is the key here. We are not removing this tactical option just limiting it.
The algorithm in a nutshell:
- Some troops sent over a long distance will desert thus forcing you to send more and more troops over longer distances
- The more troops you send, the fewer will desert
- The longer the distance, the more troops will desert
- Including a governor with the attack boosts the troops morale and prevents any desertion
- Sending more than 300 "population-worth" of troops prevents any desertion
- There is no desertion if the distance is 13 squares or less (roughly a 19x19 map)
- Troops desert the moment the attack is launched
Definition: population-worth, ie size of an attack
For the purpose of this algorithm, we calculate the size of the attack as the sum of population/food of all troops involved.
Ie, Citizen Militia consumes 1 unit of food therefore it has population-worth size of 1
Ram consumes 10 units of food therefore it has population-worth size of 10
and so on...
What we want to achieve with this algorithm, is to prevent clans from being able to send huge amounts of fake attacks over very long distances. You may still do so, but you will take higher losses.
At the same time, we did not want to automatically remove this tactical tool thus there is the minimal distance of 13 squares in which there is no desertion.
We hope that this will limit the number of fake attacks incoming to players who find themselves in a big war yet people close to each other can still play as they do now.
Keep in mind that it is still experimental and we may tweak it over the next weeks and months based on your experience and comments.
Summary of today's release:
- From attack report, can paste attacker & defender into battle simulator as attacker or defender (much more flexible than what we had before)
- From attack report, can paste the intelligence info available in the report, about the attacker or defender, into a note on a the village. That paste uses the new troops and report BBCode to nicely format the report, gives you a link back to the original report and more.
- Paste your troops into the battle simulator in various ways
- New BBCode [troops] - allows you to list the troops in some village in a nice way
- New BBCode [report] - renders a nice box around whatever text you want signaling that this is a report. Will be expanded further in functionality in following releases
- BBCodes now supported in Village Notes (notes on other villages)
- Both player and village overview, when clicked from the map, open in a popup just like quick attack/support thus allowing you review the info without leaving the map. On those popup you can see the incoming/outgoing from this village/player, as well as your notes.
- Quick attack & support windows now have an option to close the window after sending the attack - no need to click the close window icon each time
- Easier to see your notes on village/player when hovering over a village on the map
- Ranking areas - probably one of the more exciting new features we are introducing. The map is divided to a number of 100x100 square areas and you can see how you rank against players in your area. Currently, this has been implemented for Player Ranking only but Clan Ranking will also be divided into areas in the next release. We have great hopes for this to create more localized clans as new player will by default see the top clans in his area rather than realm wide.
Pasting Report to village Note and the new BBCodes
We wanted an easier way for you to relate a report of your choosing to a village. Ie, an easier way to see what troops a village may have according to the intelligence you have.
To get this nice troops table, simply put [troops]0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0[/troops] where the 0 is some number of troops. Put "?" if you don't know. Available anywere BBCodes are supported
Doing more from the map
We want to allow you to do more from the map without having to refresh it and loose your place.
For this, we've improved the quick attack/support (even more improves coming in future releases) and made the player and village overview popups.
Imagine browsing the map - how many times have you wondered:
- what notes do I have on this player /village?
- do I have a spy report, or any intelligence on this village?
- do I have attacks / support incoming from this player?
- am I attacking this player or village?
We've just begun to expand functionality in this direction and plan to continue with the 'do more from the map' philosophy. I wish I could share with you a road map but things change SO quickly that I rather announce features when they are ready, or almost ready at least!
This existing new feature is in its infancy right now. Implemented only for Player Ranking for now in order to get you guys to experiment with this as soon as possible.
Basically, we divided up the realm into 100x100 square boxes or areas.
By default, you view your ranking in your area, the area that you current village is in.
We will soon expand the clan ranking to include the areas as well. You will be able to see the rank and points of your clan in your (or some other) area in addition to realm wide as it is now
With your support, we will help more of those in need!
- The transaction has to be completed in the time specified (Jan 19th to Jan 26th)
- This is for the PayPal sales of packages between 30 and 2000 servants, not for servants purchased through 3rd parties like OfferPal or SuperRewards
- Donation will be made promptly after Jan 26th to the American Red Cross http://www.redcross.org/
Examples for clarification
For clarification, the 20% is on the gross sale. I.e., If you purchase 100 servants for $4.95USD, we will donate $0.99USD to red cross. 200 servants for $8.95US package results in $1.79USD donation. Purchase 2000 servants and not only will you have servants for a very long time, you can also feel great about helping Haiti victims with approximately $10USD
Help Haiti, Support further development of the game, and enjoy our great premium features!!
Thank you in advance from the Realm Of Empires team!